This course discusses healthy concepts and behaviors as well as personal fitness guidelines and activities. The course is presented in two semesters.
Semester 1 discusses the importance of making healthy decisions and the impact of risky behavior is explored to illustrate the contribution an individual’s behavior has on his/her health. It also discusses medical conditions, the medical system, and recommendations for seeking assistance when confronted with potential health issues.
Semester 2 discusses the importance physical fitness has on health and ways to increase levels of physical activity to improve or safeguard health. Types of fitness strategies are reviewed in addition to recommendations for participating in various activities and the different health benefits that can be expected from making a choice to be physically active.
There are no prerequisites for this course.
This course is aligned to the National Health Education Standards (NHES), National Association for Sport and Physical Education, Florida Sunshine State Standards, and the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills Standards.
- HPF 101: Pretest – Health
- Healthy Body Systems
- Disease Prevention
- Influences on Healthy Behaviors
- Familial and Environmental Effects on Health
- Health Information and Products
- Health Care Services
- Effective Communication
- Interpersonal Conflicts
- Barriers to Healthy Decision Making
- Making Healthy Decisions, Part I
- Making Healthy Decisions, Part II
- Developing Personal Health Goals
- Managing Stress
- Strategies for Injury Prevention and Management
- Community, State, and Federal Health Agencies
- Influencing Others to Make Positive Health Choices
- HPF 101: Test – Health
- HPF 102: Pretest – Personal Fitness
- Components of Physical Fitness
- Biomechanics and Exercise Physiology
- Developing and Using a Personal Fitness Plan
- Reducing Medical Risks Through Physical Activity
- Nutrition and Physical Fitness
- Impact of Physical Fitness on Mental Health
- Measuring Physical Fitness
- Individual and Team Sports Considerations
- Personal Fitness Guidelines
- Be Fit; Be Safe
- Bone-Strengthening Activities
- Types of Aerobic Activities
- Muscle-Strengthening Activities
- Resistance Training
- Exercise and Weight Control
- Physical Fitness for Individuals with Disabilities
- HPF 102: Test – Personal Fitness